Teen Murderer: Kayla LaSala's family speaks about her parole - Beckley, Bluefield & Lewisburg News, Weather, Sports

Parole denied for Kayla LaSala serving a murder sentence in WV

Posted: Updated:
Kayla LaSala - Photo Courtesy WV Division of Corrections Kayla LaSala - Photo Courtesy WV Division of Corrections
Kayla LaSala in 2004 Kayla LaSala in 2004


Family members of Kayla LaSala attended a parole hearing for the young woman who murdered her father in 2004.

The hearing was held at the Lakin Correctional Center on Wednesday, Feb. 19.  LaSala pleaded guilty to the murder of her father, Steve LaSala, when Kayla was just 14-years-old.  Family members said that the board denied parole for Kayla LaSala.  However, the board will review the case again in 2015.

Family members living in Mercer County are worried Kayla LaSala will be possibly released on parole.  

LaSala pleaded guilty to second-degree murder about 10 years ago.  Authorities say she stabbed her father, Steve LaSala more than 100 times, in their Green Valley, Mercer County home, when she was 14 years old, in 2004.

"Our family is fearful that she will be released.  It was a really brutal, vicious murder," said Angelina LaSala-Farris.

Evidence from a psychiatric test showed she was highly intelligent for a 14-year-old, but she was suffering from depression, and maturity was an issue.

The case received national attention and it was featured on "America's Most Wanted."  An online tip to the show led to her capture in Florida, 10 days after law enforcement officers say she escaped home confinement.

Deputies say Kayla LaSala cut her home confinement bracelet and glued it to a cat, before she escaped her uncle's home in Princeton, with a man, who picked her up.

Tips to the "America's Most Wanted" website led detectives to a suburb of Orlando, Florida.  Authorities investigated Troy Gilmore, who was 25 years old at the time and believed he knew Kayla LaSala's whereabouts.  They say an undercover operation led police to finding Gilmore's place of employment.  After speaking with Gilmore, he admitted LaSala, a teen at the time, was at his apartment.

Both were arrested and jailed in Florida at the time.  Gilmore faced charges in Florida of first degree sexual assault.  Detectives say the two met on the internet and Florida police seized two computers from Gilmore's apartment.  At the time, investigators were unsure if Gilmore knew about the murder charges against LaSala.

At the time, family members couldn't understand why a 14-year-old murder suspect was released on a $25,000 bail to home confinement.

"Nothing can bring my uncle back.  It's not acceptable to my family.  The real victim hear can not speak for himself.  It's really my own family that can speak for him now," said LaSala-Farris.

Family members say a parole hearing is set for Feb. 19.

LaSala-Farris is encouraging other people to contact the state parole board as well.  You can contact the state parole board at the following website: paroleboard.wv.gov/‎.

Others concerned about people being released on parole can also contact the state parole board.
Powered by Frankly